Radix Reaches Out

My rooty monomania seems to know no bounds.  First step to world domination is to gather around you a bunch of fellow conspirators. Maybe I mean megalomania.   In any case,  I am cordially inviting those with an interest in alternative root crops and social media to join my Facebook group: Radix Root Crops. My hope is that this will provide you with the opportunity to escape my purple prose and act as a platform for sharing the good, bad and indifferent experiences you've had with growing (and breeding!) oca, ulluco, yacon, mashua, hopniss and the myriad other neglected root and tuber crops: there is much to be learned.

So my first question is - who's got ocas flowering at the moment and (even more importantly) who's got seed pods forming - h/t  Radix Root Crops.   Let's build up a picture of how oca behaves in a range of locations.

Comments

Catofstripes said…
have joined you on FB but as I said, nothing to see here.
Rhizowen said…
Thanks Catofstripes

All contributions welcome - no result is still a result. If the ocas aren't up to much, I bet the ullucos are pretty unimpressive as well. Sounds like you live in yacon country to me.
SimonS said…
I'm not a "facebooker" so regrettably will not join but can report zero flowers from oca (two types in three locations) in North Surrey. Plants are healthy enough so fingers crossed.
http://maisiethecat.blogspot.com/2010/08/oca-oxalis-tuberosa-aug-4th-2010.html

We are also growing ulloco but weren't able to source yakon and I have to admit mashua & hopniss are totally new to me.

Great blog btw - will keep coming back for updates.
SimonS said…
A sort of p.s.

Reading through your blog I see you are interested in engaging volunteers (tossers)& would be very happy to be included.

Cheers
Simon
Rhizowen said…
SimonS - thanks for your messages. All information is gratefully received, wherever it is posted. When they flower - have a look at the flower structures - if you've got two different stylar morphs then seed set may be a possibility. Details on my blog.

How's the ulluco doing? If we can get that to form true seed it would be a major breakthrough. Got a feeling that it's going to be tricky.
brambonius said…
I know I'm probably 2 years too late, but I just applied for the FB group (Bram Cools). I've been growing some Oca's (2 types, white and reddish)and some other weird stuff lately, and I'll try Mashuah this year. If I ever have anything interesting or seeds from oca I'll report it. (If tree spinach, some unnamed Amaranth and Jerusalem artichoke don't take over and make a jungle out of everything...)